The North American Editorial Office of Pediatric Radiology seeks a new Assistant Editor to fill the vacancy created by the retirement of Tom Slovis and the appointment of Peter Strouse as Editor. The position description appears below, at the end of this page. For further information, applicants may contact Dr. Strouse, the Editor, by phone at (734)-232-9239 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Interested applicants are invited to submit their CVs and a one- to two- page letter stating why they are interested in the position, what they would bring to the position, and preliminary ideas they have for improving the journal.
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee consisting of the Editor, the two current assistant editors of the North American Editorial Office, and the Chair of the SPR Publications Committee. Tentatively, candidates will be interviewed by the committee at the 2013 SPR Meeting in San Antonio, May 14-18. If necessary, interviews will be conducted by conference call. It is anticipated the new Assistant Editor will assume duties as of July 1, 2013.
The due date for applications is April 15, 2013; however, interested applicants are encouraged to submit materials by April 1, 2013.
Peter J. Strouse, M.D. Editor, Pediatric Radiology
Ashok Panigrahy, M.D. Chair, SPR Publications Committee
Pediatric Radiology Assistant Editor – Position Description
North American Editorial Office
Essential Attributes: active clinically in pediatric radiology; track record in pediatric radiology research and education; track record in publications; excellent team workings skills; good communicator; reliable and efficient; good national contacts in pediatric radiology; good local and/or national contacts in clinical pediatric medicine; critical appraisal skills; ability to work within professional organizations; strong ethics, particularly in regards to research, authorship and publications.
A qualified candidate must:
- Have an avid interest in advancing Pediatric Radiology journalism; expertise as a reviewer, on editorial boards and in editing is desired.
- Be computer literate (i.e., competent in Word, Adobe, Photoshop) in order to access manuscripts online and navigate Editorial Manager, to draft letters, and to edit manuscripts.
- Have a reliable email account and IT support.
- Be available for weekly conference calls.
- Be able to work well with the journal’s administrative support, sited at the North American Editorial Office.
- Be prepared to commit a minimum of 3-4 hours/week for peer review assignment, manuscript review and initial decision, drafting of letters to authors, review of revised manuscripts and final decision.
- Be willing to communicate and work with authors to resolve issues and aid in the improvement of submitted manuscripts.
- Be able to work with the other Assistant Editors on the selection of articles for reader CME and the drafting of CME objectives and questions.
- Be willing to recruit review articles and be the lead editor for a mini-symposia or other special project (one per 1-2 years).
- Assist the Editor in eliciting submissions from papers and education exhibits presented at the annual SPR meeting and other scientific meetings.
- Assist the Editor in recruiting and orienting new reviewers. Aid the Editor in selecting members of the journal’s Editorial Board.
- Be willing to participate in workshops on Pediatric Radiologyjournalism at the annual SPR meeting.
- Be available to attend the Managing Editor’s Meeting when at the SPR meeting (even numbered years). Be available to attend the Editorial Board Meeting at the SPR meeting (every year).
- Be willing to assume the position of Editor, if and when necessary. The SPR Board of Directors and the SPR Publications Committee wish for individuals to gain valuable experience necessary to serve in editorial positions for Pediatric Radiologyor other journals.
The SPR compensates each Assistant Editor with a stipend of $10,000 per year, paid quarterly. There is no defined term of service. Interested candidates should submit their letter of interest and CV to:
Peter J. Strouse, M.D., F.A.C.R.
North American Editor, Pediatric Radiology
C. S. Mott Children’s Hospital, Room 3-231
1540 E. Hospital Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-4252