Save the Dates - SPR 2012
The Fairmont Hotel, San Francisco
April 16-20, 2012
Please note the 2012 meeting will not adhere to the traditional SPR meeting pattern. The 2012 meeting will begin on Monday, April 16th and will conclude on Friday, April 20th. Program details will be posted soon.
Scientific abstract submission will open this summer.
The deadline for submission of paper and poster abstracts will be October 27, 2011.
Dr. Tom Slovis, North American Editor of Pediatric Radiology, has notified the SPR Board of Directors of his intention to step down from the position December 31, 2012.
The Board of Directors has established an Editor Search Committee, chaired by Board Chair, Dr. Dorothy Bulas, a timeline and a process to identify the next North American Editor. Click here to access the complete details.
Drs. Dorothy Bulas and Catherine Owens, presiding officers of the recent IPR meeting in London announced the launch of the World Federation of Pediatric Imaging at the opening session. The World Federation is the natural outgrowth of the increased interaction and collaboration between the world's pediatric radiology societies.
Dr. Ines Boechat, SPR past president, and the WFPI's first president, shown here at a Brazilian meeting in 2009, conceived of the Federation as a formal mechanism to promote and advance excellence in children's health care world wide.
As the Federation leadership devotes the next 6 months to organizing, they also announce the contest to develop the WFPI logo . Every pediatric radiologist is eligible to submit a sketch by November 15, 2011. The WFPI Board will review the submissions and choose the winning entry by January 1 2012.
For more details and to view the WFPI Press Release, click here.
Dr. Mary Wyers, Web Editor, alerts members to several valuable additions to the SPR website:
- The Fetal Imaging Committee, chaired by Dr. Chris Cassady, has established its own resource-rich page on the SPR website. Log in as a member and then find it on the Member Resources drop down menu at Practice Resources.
- Dr. Cassady also invites interested members to join the Fetal Imaging list serv. Instructions are found on this new Fetal Imaging page. Note: you must be logged in as a member to view these pages.
- Dr. Heike Daldrup-Link's pediatric radiology case studies for the iPad: click here to download from the Itunes store. Note that you will need Itunes installed on your computer. (Linked from the Education page.)
Need immediate access to your CME records? Your CME record is available on the CME gateway at www.cmegateway.org. Since the Gateway is the repository for CME records for multiple radiology organizations and it resides on an RSNA server, the first time you visit or the first time you access your SPR records you will go through an identity verification process.
The most important detail? Your SPR website login is NOT your login to your SPR data on the Gateway.Visit the Education page for the initial login instructions.
Because the IPR meeting was held outside North America, credit earned at that meeting must be converted to CME. Complete details have been sent to every North American attendee. In brief:
The IPR congress was granted 27 European CME credits (ECMEC) by the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME). The meeting was been planned with the requirements of the EACCME in mind. Following the agreement signed between UEMS/EACCME and the American Medical Association, the ECMECs are recognized as PRA Class 1 Credits by the AMA. If you are applying for AMA Credits, download:
When you receive verification of your credit conversion from the AMA, send a copy to the SPR office, c/o Karen Schmitt and your IPR credit will be added to your CME Gateway record.
- The 2011 Caffey Award Winning Papers and Posters can be found on the SPR homepage. The comprehensive list of Caffey awards can be found HERE.
- The SPR office learned the 2011 IPR meeting supplement was NOT mailed to every member and Dr. Tom Slovis communicated with Springer. Through his efforts this error will be remedied. We regret the delay and thank Dr. Slovis! Your meeting supplement should arrive shortly.
- PIctures from the meeting are posted HERE.
- Business Meeting Announcements
- Committee Chair and Board reports presented at the meeting are posted and available for review from the Members Resources page. Minutes will be posted later this summer.
- Congratulations to Drs. Raymond Sze and Lisa States on their election to the Nominating committee.
- Congratulations also to the winners of the Unknown Case program for 2010-11:
- Attending Category: Dr. David Bloom of William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan.
- Fellow Category: Dr. Mantosh Rattan from Cincinnati Children's.
- Runners Up:
- Attending: Drs. Joan Zawin, Sabiha Karakas and Stephen Miller
- Fellows: Drs. Paul Clark, Govind Chavhan and Jeremy Neuman
- The 2011-2012 SPR Board of Directors is:
- Dorothy Bulas, MD, Chair
- Donald Frush, MD, President
- Sue Creviston Kaste, DO, President-Elect
- Richard Barth, MD, 1st Vice President
- Brian Coley, MD, 2nd Vice President
- James Donaldson, MD, Secretary
- Brent Adler, MD, Treasurer
- Paul Babyn, MD
- Harris Cohen, MD
- Heike E Daldrup-Link, MD
- Peter Strouse, MD
- Lisa Lowe, MD
- Rafael Rivera, MD
- Ex Officio
- Marta Hernanz-Schulman, MD (Past President)
- M. Ines Boechat, MD (Past President)
- Neil Johnson, MD (Past President)
- Christopher Cassady, MD (AAP Liaison)
- Thomas Slovis, MD (Editor)
- Mary R Board Wyers, MD (Web Editor)
DVD sets from the 2011 SPR meetings, Advances in Fetal and Neonatal Imaging meeting and the ALARA-CT course, are now available for purchase. To obtain information and to place an order, please visit the website.
Imaging of Child Abuse – February 4-5, 2012
Hyatt Regency Orlando International Airport
Program details will be posted soon.
Course Director: Dr. Jeannette Perez-Rosello
Cardiovascular Imaging Course
- 9th Pediatric Cardiovascular MR Symposium - November 1-4, 2011
- 7th Advanced Course on Pediatric Cardiovascular Imaging - November 4-6, 2011
Program details and registration information are available on the SPR Meetings page.
The 2011-12 Committee appointment process has begun. Committee chairs are:
|Abstract Review - Papers
|Abstract Review - Posters
|Children's Oncology Group
|Clinical Practices Steering
|Community Hospital based PR
|Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound Task Force
|Curriculum - Resources Task Force
|Fellowship Program Directors
|International Task Force
||M. Ines Boechat
|Structured Report Task Force