Happy New Year! January’s email newsletter includes:
· SPR President, Marilyn Goske, Interviewed at RSNA
· MR Urography in Children Workshop - One-Time Event! – February 24-25, 2007 (Please note - the Sunday, Hands-on Session is now full. No additional registration for this portion of the symposium will be taken.)
· SPR 2007 plans progress
o Select from the Thursday concurrent sessions
§ Education Summit
§ IR Symposium
§ MR Symposium
o Hooshang Taybi Art show and Auction
o Nurse Leadership meeting
o JSPR activities
· 5th SPR Symposium on Pediatric Cardiovascular MR
· REF Grant Application deadline - March 15
· SPR Website features
SPR President, Marilyn Goske, Interviewed at RSNA
Dr. Marilyn Goske was interviewed at RSNA by reporters for RT Image Magazine. Access the web cast here or from the SPR website's home page.
Looking for a February respite? Try the MR Urography in Children Workshop in Orlando, Florida
· February 24-25, 2007 - Hyatt Regency Orlando International Airport
· Register online at the SPR website - www.pedrad.org or HERE.
(Please note that the Sunday, Hands-on Session is now full. No additional registrations for this portion of the symposium will be taken.)
The MRU Workshop will provide opportunities for participants to:
· Understand MR techniques for MR Urography in children.
· Understand renal pathophysiology underlying MR findings for pediatric MR Urography.
· Post-process MR images to provide functional renal information in children.
· Describe the findings of MR Urography in renal disorders in children
At the conclusion of the conference, participants should come away with an improved understanding of the technologies discussed, increasing
awareness of potential applications of MR Urography as well as the skills needed to perform quantitative analysis of MRU data sets.
The Symposium is sponsored by the SPR and organized Dr. Damien Grattan Smith.
SPR Miami Plans Progress
By now you should have received your registration brochure for the SPR meeting in Miami - we encourage you to register promptly for the meeting, course, workshops, social events and hotel.
· Remember to select from the Concurrent sessions offered the morning of Thursday, April 19
o Education Summit - “Educating Others….Educating Ourselves. There will be numerous invited experts covering topics such as:
§ What resources are available to make learning easier?
§ What strategies can be used with difficult learners?
§ How can research be enhanced using today’s technology?
Plan to share strategies that your department uses to enhance the teaching and learning process. Participants are asked to bring 10 copies of a CD or handout of an educational tool they have developed or found useful to share with table members. (Examples include an interactive lecture, educational game, parent information sheet, quality improvement project, anything that will make us better teachers and learners.) All are welcome to share strategies or simply listen to the creative ideas our members have!
o Interventional Radiology Symposium – “Crossroads of Pediatric Interventional Radiology: asPIRe for the Future” - organized and presented by the SPR Pediatric Interventional Radiology Committee, Charles James, MD, Chair - Join an energetic group of pediatric interventional radiology practitioners as we discuss in open forum current challenges facing this subspecialty. Ideas to improve and increase your IR practice will be discussed. Efforts to better organize and advocate this pediatric IR subspecialty on a larger scale into the future will be raised.
o Pediatric MR Symposium – “Applied MR Principles, Clinical MR Imaging and Evolving Applications” – organized and presented by the MR Committee, Diego Jaramillo, MD, Chair - This exciting afternoon session will begin with a brief review of MR basic physics, sequences and tools, and evolve into a practical clinical applications session with suggestions for optimizing exam performance. It concludes with cutting edge updates on evolving applications.
Register for your selection when you register for the SPR Meeting.
· Hooshang Taybi Art Show and Auction - Remember, if you have an artistic or creative ability of almost any type, contact Dr Jane McMillan at email@example.com or Jennifer Boylan at Jboylan@acr.org for information on participating in the first Hooshang Taybi members art show and auction to benefit the Research and Education Foundation's Campaign for Children.
· Nursing Leadership meeting - This first meeting is a strategic development session where there will be several speakers, break out sessions, and at the end, a prioritized list of goals for the participants to achieve. Encourage a representative nurse from your department to attend. This activity is organized by Dr. Kimberly Applegate and Christine S. Schuck, RN, BSN, MSHCA Nurse Manager, Day Medicine Unit & Radiology duPont Hospital for Children. More information is available on the SPR website. We do ask that Nurses register by January 31.
· JSPR activities - The Junior SPR coordinator, Dr. Raphael Rivera, encourages young (ish) pediatric radiologists to participate in the JSPR activities at SPR. Complete details can be found in the Fall 2006 JSPR Newsletter available from the Trainees page of the website.
5th SPR Symposium on Pediatric Cardiovascular MR - Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
Mark your calendars for the 2007 Pediatric cardiovascular MR course
· September 12- 14, 2007 (Basic Course)
· September 15- 16, 2007 (Advanced course)
The three-day Basic Course, will review the necessary essential knowledge of heart disease in children and the practical use of MR for functional evaluation.
The two-day Advanced Course will review utilization of MR for heart disease in children and will consist of didactic lectures and free communication sessions. The course is designed for those who are experienced in cardiovascular MR.
The 2007 Symposium is sponsored by the SPR Cardiac Imaging Committee and organized by committee member. Dr. Robert Fleck.
Registration details will be made available closer to the date. For more information, contact Erin Spring, Continuing Medical Education Coordinator at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center at 513-636-6732.
REF Grant Application deadline - March 15
Dr M. Ines Boechat, President of the SPR Research and Education Foundation, encourages SPR members world-wide to apply for the grant awards of the Foundation. The submission deadline is March 15 and funding award announcements will be made at the SPR meeting in Miami.
This year, the Foundation will accept applications for the following awards:
· Seed Grant
· Research Fellow
Details and application materials are available on the SPR website. Questions can be addressed to Jennifer Boylan at JBoylan@acr.org.
· The Career Center - the place to post your available jobs and to look for the ideal position for yourself. The Career Center is available from the home page of the site.
· The Calendar - staff updates the online calendar regularly with deadlines and meeting details.
· List serv - The function that allows you to informally confer with colleagues - from across the country and the globe.
· CME gateway - SPR worked with ACR and RSNA to arrange for all SPR CME to be recorded and accessible from the CME gateway. This enhancement began with the 2006 IPR meeting.
· Online Journal Based CME - The SPR Board of Directors reports that the first two years of the online, journal-based CME for members have been very positively received and enthusiastically used by the members.
o If you have not already participated, we encourage you to do so in 2007. After you read your issue of Pediatric Radiology each month, take the post-test for the CME-eligible paper, accessible from the members' only pages of the website. Members who successfully complete the tests, earn 1 credit of CME month as a benefit of SPR membership.
Hope you are keeping warm and well! SPR is doing its part - Orlando in February and Miami in April. Hot - Hot - Hot!
Dorothy I. Bulas, MD, Secretary
Brian Coley, MD, Secretary-Elect