October 2006 Email Newsletter
Several members have reported that these emails arrive with formatting that makes it difficult to read. Please let us know if you experience this difficulty. If you do, please note the email newsletters will also be posted in the Communications - Emails of the Members Resources page online.
This month we update you on the the following:
- Nominations Committee - Deadline November 1
- SPR MRU Workshop - February 24-25, 2007 - Orlando, Florida
- REF News
- Second Cycle Seed grant - Deadline October 15
- Patriquin Award - Deadline November 1
- Haller Prize - Deadline October 30
- SPR Reception at RSNA - Monday, November 27
- Check your data - please
- 2007 meeting Update
Call for Nominations - 2007-08 Slate - Due November 1, 2006
The SPR Nominating Committee calls for candidates for:
- Second Vice President (ascends to the presidency in 2011 - the next IPR year)
- Members, SPR Board of Directors (Two positions)
- Member, Board of Directors, SPR Research and Education Foundation (One position)
Complete details are available on the Members Resources page of the SPR website.
Nominating Committee: George Taylor, MD, Chair; Brian Coley, MD, Tal Laor, MD, Damien Grattan-Smith, MD, Peter Strouse, MD, Lisa Lowe, MD and Cynthia Rigsby, MD.
SPR's MR Urography in Children Workshop - Orlando, Florida, February 24-25, 2007
Interested in knowing more about new ways to image children safely? Plan to attend SPR's MR Urography Workshop to be held in Orlando, Florida, February 24-25, 2007. This is a one-time only event .
Organized by Dr. Damien Grattan-Smith with faculty from the Society and from other specialties, registration material and program details are being prepared now for publication. More details will be sent to you and posted on the website as they are developed.
SPR 2007 Update
Now that the abstract deadline has passed, we are happy to report that more abstracts were submitted for consideration this year than in any year since 1999. The Program Committee will now begin their review, with results to be reported in mid-November. Thanks to all who submitted abstracts.
Save the dates for SPR 2007 - the Society's 50th meeting:
- Postgraduate Course - April 17-18 New Perspectives on Old Diseases: Advances in Neurological, Cardiovascular and Musculoskeletal Imaging in Children
- Annual Meeting - April 18 - 21
Art Show and Auction
Many SPR members have talents as artists and writers. We have been amazed and impressed at the creative talents on display each year at the members’ art show and auction.
If you would like to exhibit and/or donate a piece to the 2007 Hooshang Taybi Memorial Art Show and Auction, let us know by return email. A member of the staff will contact you to make the arrangements.
Research and Education Foundation News
The REF Calls for Applications for 3 programs this fall:
- Fall Cycle Seed grants - Dr. Ines Boechat, President of the SPR REF Board of Directors, announced this summer that the Foundation would offer the Seed grant in two annual cycles. The new cycle deadline is October 15. Application details appear on the website.
- Jack Haller Award for Excellence in Teaching - Nominations due October 30.
- Heidi Patriquin International Fellowship for Education. Applications due November 1.
Applications details are available on the SPR REF page of the website.
Check your SPR data
When SPR members update their contact information on the SPR website, an email is generated and sent to the headquarters office with the change. HOWEVER - we learned recently that this function was not operating properly for an undetermined period of time. If you updated your record on the website and received (or, did not receive) your 2007 dues invoice at an incorrect address, we apologize. Let us know (by return email) and we will make the appropriate change now.
SPR Reception at RSNA
If your plans include the upcoming 2006 RSNA meeting, mark your calendar and join your pediatric radiology colleagues and friends at the SPR Member Reception on Monday, November 27 (McCormick Place location TBA- check the online calendar).
As has become SPR tradition, the goal of this event is to provide a respite for you during your busy (and exhausting) RSNA week. An added component this year is the opportunity to be briefly (and informally) interviewed on the topic of your experiences as an SPR member. A compilation tape will be shown as an integral part of the 2007 50th anniversary meeting.
Your fellows, residents, medical students and colleagues are encouraged to join you at this reception. They are welcome.
SPR website features - most (not all) available by logging in and navigating to the Members Resources page
- The list serv (subscription information on the SPR website) is gaining momentum. Join the virtual conversation if you have not done so already.
- Earn your journal-based CME from the SPR website.
- Use the SPR online calendar
- Post your jobs on the Online Career Center
- As the holidays approach, remember to shop at the online mall and generate a small commission with every purchase for the Society and Foundation
- Yes, we are experiencing problems with direct full-text access to Pediatric Radiology from the SPR website. As an interim remedy, we have added Springer log in information at the access point.
As always, if you have information that would be of interest or value to the members, contact us at DBulas@cnmc.org and/or email@example.com and we'll include in a future email newsletter. Look forward to hearing from you.
Dorothy Bulas, MD Secretary
Brian Coley, MD Secretary-Elect