What can I do as a Referring Physician?
Just as you do now, be every child's advocate. Learn more about the diagnostic and therapeutic uses of medical radiation:
The Image Gently Digital Radiography writer's group has created the parent brochure entitledX-rays for Children: What Parents Should Know About Radiation Protection in Medical Imaging". This full color brochure was designed to be printed locally and distributed to parents and patients. Click the link above to download this valuable resource now.
If you only know one thing about CT scans in children, let it be that there is a growing awareness of the opportunities to lower and limit dose in the CT imaging of children without compromising the diagnostic quality. Encourage parents to ask questions and then point them to these pages.Two informational brochures:
- What Parents Should Know about CT Scans for Children (2-pages) and What Parents should know about Medical Radiation Safety (8-pages) which discuss the issue in greater depth.
- My child's imaging record: Two convenient sizes downloadable here:
- FAQ's for Parents
- FAQ's for Patients
- FAQ's for Medical Professionals
- What Parents should know about Medical Radiation Safety in Pediatric Interventional Radiology (8-pages) which discuss the issue in greater depth.
- What you should know about Pediatric Nuclear Medicine Procedures (4-page) 8th grade reading level
- What you should know about Pediatric Nuclear Medicine Procedures (4-page) 12th grade reading level
More information available at the Radiation Protection of Patients website of the IAEA